Activists say gunmen have killed at least nine people in Syria's central Homs region.
They say the violence took place on Wednesday, but details are unclear.
Meanwhile, the Syrian government says an agreement on a plan that could end months of deadly unrest is set to be announced Wednesday at an Arab League meeting in Cairo.
A state news report says Syrian authorities and an Arab League ministerial committee have come to terms on a “final document.” However, the SANA news agency did not provide details of the agreement.
Earlier this week, Arab League diplomats announced a proposal that calls for the Syrian government to withdraw security forces from the streets, stop violence by pro-government forces against civilians and begin talks with the Syrian opposition in Cairo.
On Friday, the 22-member league sharpened its criticism of Syria after rights activists said Syrian security forces had shot and killed dozens of anti-government protesters as part of a widening crackdown on dissent.
The United Nations says the number of people killed in the seven-month-old uprising has surpassed 3,000. The Syrian government says terrorists have killed hundreds of security personnel during that period.