Opponents receive mustard gas from Ansar al-Sharia in Libya

Posted April 8th, 2012 at 7:46 am (UTC-4)
10 comments

Published : 6/2/2014

Opponents receive mustard gas from Ansar al-Sharia in Libya

A cargo of mustard gas has been discovered from extremist groups based in the country by Libyan government. According to the confessions of captured elements of Ansar al-Sharia in Libya, the gas was due to be transferred to Syrian opposition groups to create insecurity in the upcoming presidential elections in Syria.

Sonny Young
Since 1999, host Sonny Young has delighted listeners and viewers with a lively presentation that combines humor, props, sound effects and correspondent reports from Africa and all over the globe.

10 Responses to “Opponents receive mustard gas from Ansar al-Sharia in Libya”

1. segun adeyemi says:

This is a nice tribute to Rod Thomas, Sonny.

Never knew he was ill!

I never met Rod in person, but I remember speaking with him on the phone many times, especially in connection with my programme, Nightline Africa Sports!

He was always assuring and helpful during those years that I depended on the telephone to file the show to the VOA headquarters in Washington.

May his soul rest in peace!

Nice reminiscences about your father too. I enjoyed reading it, and wish him many more years despite the age related difficulties.

As I read your well-crafted piece, I cannot but remember my Father-in-law, Rev. Felix Olusola Johnson, who passed on yesterday (7April) at the age of 70, following complications from Stroke.

In his life time, he treated me more like his biological son that a son-in-law. I will remember him for his love, simplicity, contentment and rare humanity.

May his soul rest in peace, Rev. F.O. J!!!

2. Sonny Young says:

Thank you for your comments, Segun. Rest in peace, Rod Thomas, and rest in peace, Rev. Felix Olusola Johnson.

Sporty regards,

Sonny

3. Cole says:

Very nice, Sonny.

Cole

4. Paul Sisco says:

Thanks Sonny … your words touched me. God bless all, and Happy Easter.

5. David Young says:

Nice job Sonny.

Cheers – Dave

6. Robert Cohen says:

Sonny,

Your memories of Rod really touched me. I did not know either that Rod had been ill. I was a technician at VOA for 8 years before becoming a Supervisor and then transferring to Worldwide English. You and Rod were truly the nicest and most professional broadcasters I had the opportunity to work with during that time. My favorite show to “do” was English to Africa because it was so professionally executed and everyone was just so great at their job, as well as knowing how to have fun when the mikes were off. The talent that has gone through that Service…Rod Thomas,Carroll James, Al James, Bill Workinger, Chaka Ssali, Ted Roberts, and so many others I never had the pleasure of working with. I only hope that someday, many years from now, we all get to work together in that “Big Turntable in the Sky” Service!!
    Best wishes, Robert

7. Ciaran Mulcahy says:

I found out about Rod Thomas yesterday on VOA., and AFN.. It is thank’s to both stations that I know and care about Rod Thomas, and much more, regarding theUSA..

8. I think,this is a befitting tribute to Rod.When i read about his death two days ago,it was shocking to me,to know that he is no more.
    Writing about the fond memories of him is touching and nostalgic.
    I recall a good number of times when i do listen to the Friday expanded edition of the Sonny Side Of Sports,and Sonny at the end of the show would give thanks to Rod for helping.
    Reflecting on his death has made me remember once again,the words of Thomas A Kempis that “A very little while and all will be over with us here,see then how matters stand for a man is here today, and tomorrow he is gone.And when he is taken out of sight,he is quickly also out of mind.Thus death is the end of all and man’s life passes suddenly like a shadow”.
    I pray that God grants him and all the dead in Christ eternal rest.

9. Sonny,I wish your Dad more years of Good health of mind and body.

10. Sonny,I wish your Dad more mores of Good health of mind and body.

About

Sonny Side of Sports is an energetic and action-packed look at both world and African sports, broadcast on radio, TV and the Internet. Since the show’s creation in 1999, host Sonny Young has delighted listeners and viewers with a lively presentation that combines humor, props, sound effects and correspondent reports from Africa and all over the globe.

The Sonny Side of Sports is broadcast Monday through Friday at 1630 and 1830 UTC/GMT. And on Fridays at 1730 UTC/GMT, Sonny has an expanded 30-minute sports show.

Brighten your day by tuning in the Sonny Side of Sports!

» Listen to the latest show

Facebook