What Does it Mean to ‘Be American’ as a Chinese Student?

by Qian - Posts (7). Posted Thursday, October 13th, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m Chinese, but kinda American.

Holding a Chinese flag in the Palestinian market located in the West Bank

Since August 16, 2008, the day I arrived in the United States, I have been asked thousands of times, “Where are you from?” For most Chinese students studying abroad, the automatic answer would be, “Yea, China of course!” However, for some, it is not as simple as the nationality presented on their red, Chinese passports.

This summer, a Chinese friend of mine from Syracuse University visited me in Beijing after spending a semester studying abroad in Europe with a few American students. “I enjoyed my stay in Spain so much last semester,” she told me, speaking in Mandarin Chinese interspersed with some English terms. She showed me pictures of various parties with other American students, and said, “The American culture I adopted last semester was more than what I had tried for the past three years. I feel I’m so American right now and I nearly forgot how to speak Chinese when I just came back to China from Spain.”

I felt happy for her for feeling comfortable “being so American.” However, her words left me in deep thought as well; do we, Chinese students studying in the US, have to “act like Americans” in order to live comfortably in this country?

My freshman year, I had a culture clash with my American roommate and felt very isolated from the American students in the dorm. The reason was simple: I didn’t party with them, nor did I talk to them often.

Oh my gosh you look so American…

Yet, how I perceived and adapted to American culture began to change after I studied abroad in Hong Kong and Israel with some American students from my college. In order not to be isolated again, I forced myself to learn how to dress up, to go to parties, how to drink and to dance like everyone else in the group. Slowly, as “efforts” began paying off, I began to hear people saying, “You sound so American,” or “Oh my gosh, you look so American in this picture!”

Waking from an alcoholic stupor after a party and walking in 5-inch-heels with my friends in the empty streets of Hong Kong at 3:00 am, I kept asking myself again and again, “Is this the life you want? If yes, why did you feel uncomfortable? If no, why do you have to continue this lifestyle you don’t actually enjoy?”

Hong Kong Youth Forum

At the Hong Kong World Youth Leaders Forum.

I was not able to come up with the answer until this summer when I went to Hong Kong again to attend the 2011 World Youth Leaders Forum.

During the farewell dinner on the last day of the forum, a student from China came over to me, and asked in English, “Are you ABC (American-born Chinese)?” “Why?” I asked back, surprised.

She explained that during my presentation, she had not only heard a slightly American accent, but also thought that the way I included humor in the presentation and used a lot of gestures when I spoke was very “American.” In addition, I had talked about my plan to travel to India and Africa after graduation, and she said she knew Americans who had taken time off to travel after school, but not a single Chinese college student who had done it.

You’re born an original, don’t die a copy!

During the past three and half years, I thought “being American” means “going out to parties, bars, and clubs to have fun, being able to dance, drink and do crazy things, and so on.” However, at that moment, I suddenly recognized how I had been holding onto an incorrect concept of “being American.” I realized what I really have learned and gained from the past three and half years studying in the United States is that “the American dream” refers to being independent and determined – knowing what you want and insisting on it until you achieve your dreams.

I still remember that on August 16, 2008, I, a 17-year-old, arrived at the JFK airport in New York City, carrying three overweight luggage cases. Now, I am a 21-year-old adult who will graduate from college in half a year. I believe, however, what I gain is far more than a degree certificate. In China, parents usually play an important role to secure their children good schools or good jobs. However, as an international student whose parents are on the other side of the earth, all I have is myself. And I believe that’s how I have been practicing the concept of “the American dream,” and that’s how to “be American,” in a good way.

At 3:00 am last Sunday, I finished some readings and walked through an area of Washington D.C. populated by many bars. I had to pick up my roommate who had gone to a party but needed someone to walk her home. The temperature was low, but the street was busy. I saw some Chinese-looking girls dressed up nicely at a corner bar, drinking beers, and talking and laughing loudly. I didn’t know whether anyone among them was facing a similar dilemma as the one I had previously faced, but had there been such a person, I would have liked to share a quote with her from John Mason: “You’re born an original, don’t die a copy!”

18 Responses to “What Does it Mean to ‘Be American’ as a Chinese Student?”

1. Dhruba says:

Great article that talks about being original. Originality is what makes one unique from others and the word diverse.

2. David says:

As a native American (err, not Indian! American born Caucasian), I don’t know how I feel about American being tied to partying, drinking, etc.. but I guess it’s sort of true. It could explain why I feel a bit isolated myself.

Great blog post though, really love the different perspective. Be yourself, just have a good time your own way. Labels are for government surveys.

3. Cassie says:

Hi,This is Cassie.I just read your article,I am a Chinese girl who lives in America now as well,and I kinda agree with u for that point.Parties are not my thing either!!!!

4. Marcos says:

Great Article.
    I’m a Brasilian guy living abroad. And it seems that we’ll always be what we were born for. On the other hand, we’ll never be like before. And it doesn’t matter neither where we were born nor which country we’ve lived abroad.

5. Johnathan says:

A lot of people have a misconception about what it is to be American. But it’s because of the imagery and messaging promoted by the mass media industry in the US (Hollywood, social/cultural messaging). It’s even more effective that state sponsored propaganda. I studied abroad during the 1990s and encountered students from both European and Asia Countries, who watched Bay Watch (and shows like it), who actually believed it was real, or wanted it to be real. I advised them to go visit to the LA area for real. Many did and experienced a reality that was totally different.

Yet even today – many friends and acquaintances who visit me from abroad are stunned when they realize that many people who live in America are not Caucasian. As American with very deep roots (back to the revolutionary war) – this left me wondering – how is this possible? With regards to America’s recent history, Chinese people have been actively living and thriving in America for over 100 years. Preserving the richness of their own identities, and cultural heritage – while also making contributions to this idea called America. But people intentionally choose to ignore this.

6. Nice. says:

Im a nigerian i realy want to travel abroad to place like japan or china to continue my school.

That’s great! The embassies of those countries in Nigeria should be able to give you information about how to get started. For information about studying in Japan, try the Study in Japan website at http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/index.html. I know in China you can apply directly to an institution or through the China Scholarship Council, and you can try the CUCAS website for more information http://www.cucas.edu.cn.

Also, our blogger Alex did his undergraduate degree in Malaysia (he’s from Uganda), so he may be a good source of information if you’re interested in looking there as well.

7. carless says:

Be as independent and confident as an American. Cook as good as a Chinese

8. Tara Cheng says:

This post is amazingly thoughtful and well-expressed. If there is an award of “post of this semester”, I would definitely nominate this one!

- Fellow blogger Tara

9. yejianbol says:

thanks, live you want life

10. Tara Tomme says:

Great post, enjoyed the read

11. [...] 5. What Does it Mean to “Be American” As a Chinese Student? [...]

12. [...] 5. What Does it Mean to “Be American” As a Chinese Student? [...]

13. hane says:

excellent item,

14. Jane says:

Just a question I am dying to know. As a Chinese studying here in the U.S how did you feel about the American view of the Chinese communist party? Do you attest to the fact that China has a corrupt system of goverment? Do you attest that the CCP abuses human right?

I am a American born Chinese and always wondered why some Chinese students still deny or kind of move away from the poltical atmosphere of the American media. What is your take on it? Did you learn alot of truth about how the Chinese communist party is a corrupt system and we Americans hate it?

15. Jane says:

How do you feel about the American view of the Chinese goverment as a corrupt, abusive of human rights, who only wants power and not peace and freedom????

16. Inchina says:

Interesting story. America does have some great universities to study through but so does China. In fact, some may say that it’s better to study in China but it’s a matter of preference.
    I know you’re from an Asian country and I’m not 100% sure of the application process you went through but I know that South African students may apply through http://www.studymedicineinchina.co.za – if they want to go into the medical field. I’m not sure about the other fields of study.