The 3 Pieces of Advice I Thought I Didn’t Need (But Definitely Did)

by Sarah Bosha - Posts (4). Posted Monday, November 19th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

suitcasesBefore I left for the U.S., I attended all the orientations about what life would be like there.  I heard tons of useful advice about how to prepare, what to pack, and what to expect.   And like most people, I scoffed at some of that advice.  But boy I wish I hadn’t!

Settling into Indiana was not as easy as I thought it would be, and I quickly began to regret not listening to the suggestions of what to bring with me from home.  Here are the top 3 things I really wish I had brought, and the advice you shouldn’t ignore when it’s time for your orientation.

1. Toiletries

Not packing toiletries such as lotion and soap from home was the first thing I greatly regretted. I am ashamed to say that when the helpful ladies at the EducationUSA orientation gave us this advice, I laughed at it. “I am going to America, where everyone has great skin and looks (and probably smells) good, and everything costs US$1,” I thought. “I will buy it there.”

Unfortunately, when I arrived in Indiana it turned out the supermarket is very far from where I live and only accessible by bus.

When I finally figured out the bus route and managed to get there, I was bombarded by more choices in face wash, lotions, cleansers, and all manner of soaps than I had ever seen in my life!

I stood for at least 30 minutes in that section trying to figure out which to buy, until, out of sheer exhaustion, I settled on one lotion that looked like it might be as good as one back home.  Thankfully, Vaseline is as international as Coca-Cola and I was able to find that in America for my toddlers.

Which to choose? (Creative Commons photo by Kerry Lannert)

Which to choose? (Creative Commons photo by Kerry Lannert)

As it turns out, the people who have actually been to America and have been advising students on how to settle there as comfortably as possible know exactly what they are talking about. I should have brought my own huge bottle of lotion from home as advised, because my skin broke out and left me looking like a pimply-faced teenager! Participating in orientation with a breakout may be a confidence-shattering first experience and I advise all students to take even the smallest of nuggets of advice at their pre-departure orientations seriously.

2. Dressy Clothes

I don’t know if it was the euphoria of traveling to America or the thought of a U.S. shopping spree that made me magnanimously donate all my formal clothes to my younger sister, but I did!  I packed only casual student clothes, jeans and tees and sweaters, with not a skirt, dress or smart jacket or slacks in sight.

When I got to school, however, I found out that there were a few official welcome events that required me to dress up, and I didn’t have anything with me to wear.  I had to go buy several new outfits – something that can be quite expensive when you are not really sure where to shop or get good bargains.

Students wearing Columbia University sweatshirts. Creative Commons photo by Flickr user airsoenxen

It’s not always jeans and sweatshirts (Creative Commons photo by Flickr user airsoenxen)

Students in America do typically wear jeans and t-shirts to class, but there are more formal occasions as well, especially for students who have been awarded scholarships, since schools will often hold receptions to honor the scholarship recipients. I wished I had brought a pair of slacks, one or two shirts, a smart skirt and at least one little black dress.

Goodwill Stores, Salvation Army and other thrift stores can offer cheaper clothing if you’re stuck without the outfits you need, and in fact many Americans do buy clothes from these places. So don’t be ashamed to sneak a peek, because you can find real bargains at these stores. I remember seeing a pair of dangerously high designer heels at a Goodwill store and wishing I was willing to gamble with the possible falls that might ensue so I could buy them!

3. My Favorite Foods

I sorely regret not bringing my royco usavi mix and my knorr cook-in sauces and spices as my EducationUSA adviser, Mai Mano, had suggested.  I really miss the taste of home, and I wish I could give that treat to my family once in a while.

[Read more: Why do international students miss food from home so much?]

The first time I made American beef I was shocked at how flavorless it is compared to organic Zimbabwean beef – dare I say, it tasted like chicken?!   I tried adding some Indian spices like curry, but they too lacked the flavor and aroma I was used to from Indian spices in Zimbabwe (and I still thought the beef tasted like chicken!).

My Zimbabwean friends eventually helped me get some of the foods I was missing. They showed me the African and Oriental markets, where I could buy maize meal for making sadza, and taught me that kale is like the covo vegetable from back home.

Zimbabwean food that is difficult to recreate in the States (Creative Commons photo BBC World Service)

It’s still not quite the same.  Everything is packaged in smaller amounts but costs more, like the Cerelac baby cereal that my children so love, which costs almost the same price as back home for half the quantity! The upfu, or corn meal is affordable and makes the whitest sadza there is, which tastes pretty average, but the kids love it anyway.

That’s one bit of advice I was really glad I did take: to find a community of Zimbabweans here in Indiana. They are like a piece of home and they know all the best places to get good bargains on the things you need! Some students try to keep a distance from their fellow countrymen, so as to get to know America and Americans, but you may end up being very lonely and unable to navigate your way without a little help from those who can relate.

Take it from me and save yourself the trouble, attend the orientation EducationUSA or any other agency gives in your country and take every bit of their advice seriously.

10 Responses to “The 3 Pieces of Advice I Thought I Didn’t Need (But Definitely Did)”

1. Poboy says:

Welcome to America! I lived in Indiana myself for 20 years before I finally felt my sanity begin to slip and I forced myself to move to a different part. I hope your time with us is long and fruitful. Barring the obvious, is the education system in Zimbabwe terribly different from ours?

• Sarah Bosha says:

Hi Poboy

The education system is quite different because in Zimbabwe we follow the British system, even the way we are expected to write papers was different for me! Indiana is a little bit more laid back than everywhere else, but for me because I have small children the smalltown feel is exactly what our family needs! Hope you are enjoying yourself in a different part of the US and thanks for your comment!
      Sarah

• Sarah Bosha says:

Hi Poboy

Thanks for your comment! Yes Indiana is a little smalltown and laid back but for someone like me who has a family it is the best place for small children. Zimbabwe has a British system of education so even the way we write papers is markedly different from the US approach. I hope you are having a much better experience where you moved to!
      Sarah

• Obe says:

Hi Sarah

What an interesting article ! I am an international student studying at UK and this is my first year, though I am not in America, I can tell you that I feel exactly the same way you did ! I regretted that I didn’t bring much daily utensils from home and ended up buying everything here ! There are too many brands to choose from and being the first time here I have no idea which brand is better,haha
        But for shopping, I really envy students like you in the US which got a lot of festivals like Thanksgiving and Black Friday where shops will offer big sale! In the UK, not until Christmas will there be great sale, what a pity !
        I really agree with the fact that we should bring a lot of our favorite food and how we missed the taste of home ! It’s really frustrating when you can’t find any food that taste like the one you often have at home and when you expect too much on the local supermarket, thinking they might sell food of your home country while they usually don’t !

2. s.zamukuzi says:

I do here by write this letter looking for confirmation for Study / exchange in the USA. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

3. Sarah Bosha says:

Hi Obe,

Thank you for the comment, isnt it strange how we think we will find better food, products everything overseas when it really isnt true and the stuff is more expensive?
    About Black Friday I didnt go myself but friends who went said the deals were not all that great actually, I think its a marketing gimmick to get into the minds of consumers and it works! A local told me that usually deals and sales are much better after christmas when people return things they bought but didnt need! Enjoy your christmas shopping and your studies

• Obe says:

Hi Sarah

Yes, can’t agree more ! Before going to the UK, i thought everything will be better and cheaper than my home country but turns out it’s not ! And I really miss the food from home haha
      Oh I thought everyone in America is crazy about Black Friday, but glad that you didn’t go, I saw news on the internet about Black Friday and thousands of people are queuing up for the big sale. I thought they are really cheap but seems they are just gimmicks as said by your friends. I wonder how many Americans go there every year just because of the sale and buy loads of clothes and stuffs that they don’t really need which end up not saving any money ! Haha maybe you should go shopping after Christmas and get even better stuffs and sales.

4. Sarah Bosha says:

Hi Zamukuzi,
    Where are you from? There are many EducationUSA offices worldwide with advisors that can help you look for and apply to study programs. I was assisted by EducationUSA advisor in my own country to come and study in the USA. Hope this helps you!