New in the Glossary of Confusing Words: Undergraduate

by Jessica Stahl - Posts (449). Posted Monday, August 19th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

dictionary and thesaurusWe’ve previously covered the names for every school you attend in the U.S. education system, from kindergarten through higher education, but at which one of those schools are you an undergraduate?

Thanks to Nubia for submitting this word to our Glossary of Confusing Words.


An undergraduate is someone studying for their associate or bachelor’s degree – a college student. This is the level of education that comes after high school.

– “Are you in school?”
– “Yeah. I’m an undergraduate at Princeton University.”

You can also use “undergraduate education” or “undergraduate studies” to describe the education you receive at college.

– “Where did she study?”
– “She got her undergraduate education at Georgetown University and then did a master’s at Johns Hopkins.”

While we’re at it, what do you call someone studying at graduate school? They’re a “graduate student” or a “postgraduate.”

Do you have a term or phrase to suggest for our Glossary of Confusing Words? Let us know what it is and where you encountered it using the form below, and we’ll add it to our ever-growing collection. The Glossary is entirely created through your suggestions of words that have confused you, or that you think might confuse others, so keep those submissions coming!

Comments are closed.

The Student Union is…

A place to hear stories about studying in the U.S. Our bloggers have come from all over the world to U.S. universities, and they'll be sharing their experiences, advice and more.

Learn more about this blog »

Share your own story!
Tell us about your experiences applying to the US, studying in America, or doing an exchange, and we may include it on the blog.


Glossary of Confusing Words

Find definitions of confusing words and terms about studying in the U.S. in our Glossary of Confusing Words.

All the words were submitted by YOU, so visit the glossary to see the words that have been defined already and to suggest your own.