On Encountering Racism in College

by Simbarashe - Posts (7). Posted Tuesday, October 15th, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Today’s post comes to us from Simbarashe Runyowa, an Oberlin student from Zimbabwe. The topic is a delicate one – racism that Simbarashe encounters here in the U.S., and in his home nation. Throughout, he refers to “the n-word.” For those unfamiliar, there’s a racist slur beginning the the letter “n” used to refer to people of African descent that’s so offensive in the U.S., it’s almost exclusively referred to as “the n-word.” Of course, as with many things, it’s slightly more complicated than that, as the full word is sometimes used in popular music, or even on occasion between African-Americans themselves. That said, it remains so offensive a term that we’ll just use “the n-word” reference.

Not too long ago, I went to watch Quentin Tarantino’s latest movie Django Unchained. I was deeply curious about it because before the film even came out, some black intellectuals had sharply criticized it for being racist. His main criticism of Djangowas that the film all too liberally and uncritically deployed the “N” word (it is repeated over 100 times in the film), and that, for this reason, the film was an assault on the history of black people in America.

A still from the movie “Django Unchained” (AP)

I went to watch Django to make my own judgments. As expected of any film by Tarantino, it was replete with egregious violence. In one particularly gruesome scene, Leonardo DiCaprio’s character sets dogs on a slave as punishment for having failed to secure a convincing victory in a Mandingo fight. [The slave is mauled to death.] In another scene, a plantation owner unleashes violent lashes onto a slave woman’s back for the trivial crime of breaking a couple of eggs.

The “n-word” is littered throughout the film; both whites and blacks dispatch it, slaves and their owners alike utter it. Tarantino obviously felt that artistic license gave him the legitimacy to throw around a word that is so wholly repulsive. It got me to thinking – why were black intellectuals so enraged with Tarantino? Is it ever permissible for these and other dis-empowering words to be circulated in society? And why does this word continue to be hurtful?

A couple of weeks ago*, Oberlin College made international headlines for all the wrong reasons. There was a string of incidents in which someone was writing racist slurs all over campus. Most of the time, it was the N word. There was KKK paraphernalia being left all over campus. The final straw was when a person wearing what appeared to be a KKK garb was spotted lingering near African Heritage House, a space where a good number of African and African-American students lived. It all seemed so surreal—the Ku Klux Klan, the “n-word”—these were things I had never expected to encounter in my life.

The day after the sighting of the clan member, students lobbied the administration to cancel class for the day, and we had what was called the Day of Solidarity. Instead of class, we had a teach-in, convocation and marches. It was a powerful show of solidarity in the face of an extremely depressing and painful experience.

I remember as the events unfolded feeling a profound sense of sadness at the fact that racism so blatant was continuing to be perpetuated in this day and age at what is undoubtedly one of America’s most liberal colleges. In that moment, I sympathized with the rage the critics of Django had felt towards the “n-word.”

My English professor often says that no statement that is made is ever neutral—everything is imbued with ideology, a message, a worldview. Racist graffiti is not merely writing on a wall, but a commentary – in this case, a negative and dis-empowering commentary on black people.

Words in and of themselves are loaded with power—they can be used to uplift or degrade, to lift up or to tear down. The thing about the “n-word” is that when it is thrust in your face, it takes on a whole new significance. Unlike in Tarantino’s Django, the perpetrators of the word are not far removed fictional characters in a 2-hour-long movie, but real people in the community in which you live. You realize, someone out there sees no value in diversity, no value in you or your existence, no value in your right to be in a place like Oberlin.

Tom Weston, lay leader at the First United Methodist Church, talks about the recent racial incidents that occurred at Oberlin College. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

Coming to the US, my engagement with the notion of race changed dramatically because I immediately became a minority (versus back home when I fall in the majority.) The nuances of race relations in the US are different, and are informed by a different history. In Zimbabwe, the extent of racism I had experienced was mostly in the form of micro-aggressions, whereas this racism in America was blatant. The effects of both forms of were however nearly the same. The power of racism is in its ability to strip a person of both power and dignity. Seeing the “n-word” scrawled in my college’s hallways made me feel alienated and stripped of power—unwelcome, unworthy and unwanted.

I was naïve in coming to the United States thinking that I would be sheltered from the vices of racism. I felt even more confident of that given that I had chosen to attend what is arguably America’s most liberal college. But even here in this progressive enclosure of liberalism, racism and other forms of oppression continue to fester. America’s concept of a post-racial society is in many ways a utopian concept that is far from materializing. I realized, with dejection, that the racist world Tarantino portrays, which at first seemed like a fictional and obsolete concept, is not that far removed from contemporary society.

To be sure, oppression in its many forms exists everywhere in the world. It is a function of the societies we live in, of history, of privilege and the lack of it. What I love about America is that it aspires to erase these forms of oppression. It’s far from perfect, but it is on its way. In that sense, despite my disappointment with the events that occurred at my college, I still feel glad to live in a society that, despite being flawed, is still striving. And striving is perhaps the only sure way we will make progress towards a better society.

*This post was written earlier this year, but never published.

6 Responses to “On Encountering Racism in College”

1. Shack says:

Do you want some cheese with that whine? Quit your complaining. There will always be idiots doing something stupid. Ignore it and move on. How many blacks, including you are getting all or a part of your college costs paid? How many blacks were admitted to the college in spite of lower admission scores? Any you are moaning about a word.

• Doug Bernard says:

Dave – I don’t think you understood the post. Simbarashe is an African student from Zimbabwe studying here in the U.S. He’s not getting any of his college costs paid by U.S. taxpayers. And your comment about lower admission scores is just ignorant.

• Shack says:

I never mentioned US taxpayers paying anything.Where the money comes from is not the point. So I guess if I were a liberal idiot I’d call your statement regarding taxpayers “just ignorant”.

2. Simba says:

Shack,

Thanks for you response, however, you have missed the point of my post by a gargantuan margin. The fact that “there will always be idiots doing something stupid” is a usual, tired argument made to deny the existence of systemic racism by people who propagate the false notion that America is now post racial. The point of my entire post was to problematize that and suggest that in fact acts of racism is not limited to “idiots ” or radical people at the fringes, but that even well minded and well intentioned, “good” people can proliferate racism. That was the point of my post, which you have spectacularly missed.

To your suggestion that I should not critique racism because “blacks are getting all their college costs paid,” please understand that scholarships and financial aid are not charity, but a reward that is earned for demonstrating academic and personal merit and competency. It is not a handout, but a signal of achievement for which one receives recognition in the form of finance. I earned every scholarship dollar that I receive, and by the way, it is not underwritten by US taxpayers, but alumni of the college I attend.

And lastly, to your point that “blacks are admitted to college with lower admission scores”–that is laughable. The idea that some people astonishingly still hold on to that blacks are somewhat intellectually inferior I find deeply patronizing, racist, and a poor reflection on the intellectual capacities of the person peddling them. Note that you are reiterating notions of pseudo-scientific racist theories which have been universally disproven as categorically ridiculous. I hope you have a nice day and I would suggest you read the work of Barbara Jeanne Fields to gain insights into why the racist suggestions you make here are illogical.

• Shack says:

I didn’t miss your point. You were moaning about having to deal with racism. The way you are dealing with it perpetuates it. The mere sighting of a klan member causes Oberlin to cancel classes for a day so you can all talk about it? Wow, what power you give one racist jerk. Some KKK literature is spread around campus. Collect it and toss it in the garbage, arrest the perps for littering. A word on a wall makes you feel “alienated and stripped of power—unwelcome, unworthy and unwanted”. Don’t you think you’re being a little dramatic? Come on, grow a pair.

My point about financial aid to blacks is that you are painting the US as a place where racism is not much different today than it was is the days of slavery. While at the same time a large percentage of who put in an effort to graduate high school can go to school for free. How is it that the same American society that gives blacks money to go to college also fosters racism against them?

My statement regarding the lower admission scores had nothing to do with your assumption regarding any intellectual inferiority. It is a statement of fact. The state of Michigan brought the issue to the Supreme Court in an attempt to end the practice. It is just another example of the American society you deem to be racist acting in a very non-racist way.

I happen to agree with affirmative action with regards to college admissions and financial aid. On the whole, the grade school opportunities afforded most whites far exceed those afforded most blacks. ACT and SAT scores for white schools are higher than black schools not because of any intellectual inferiority but rather due to the quality of the schools and teachers.

3. Lyn Stein says:

I accidentally came across your article while reading about the new Sports Complex being built at the Oberlin College. I must say it must have been hard leaving your family & friends to study here! The US continues to amaze me & sometimes it disappoints me. I just wanted to take a minute to say I’m sorry you had this negative experience at your college. Those persons responsible for participating in racial, or biggoting things represent the weak, cruel & pathetic citizens here. Who knows who they were. Were they college students? They could have been local residents who are just simply stupid. I don’t care where you got your college scholarship only that I applaud you for making it here. I grew up 3 miles from the college. I know brilliant kids from all over the world come here. It’s sad to know that in 2013 these things continue to happen. I’m a mother & can reassure you- hate is not something I instill in my young children. There will always be bad people, jealous & angry people. Just dismiss them if you come across them. Success & happiness is always the best revenge. Please dont let the opinions of some paint a bad picture of the USA, Ohio & Oberlin. Most of us are kind & treat everyone as equals. Best wishes to you & your future! ~Lyn