Accessibility links

Breaking News

UC-Davis Installs Machine That Dispenses Contraception

People walk past a screen showing the news report that President Donald Trump has tested positive for the coronavirus, in Tokyo.
Students at a California university will be able to purchase condoms, pregnancy tests, and emergency contraception pills via a new vending machine on campus.

The Wellness-To-Go vending machine was recently installed in a study room at the University of California-Davis.

In addition to contraception, it also provides pain relievers and menstruation products to students in need.

The machine was installed in April after a push from UC-Davis senior Parteek Singh.

Singh told the school’s student newspaper that he came up with the idea after a friend was unable to purchase the morning-after pill in a timely manner.

"My friends shared some incidents where they went to get some Plan B on a Friday night, and the store was all out," Singh said. “And they weren’t getting a new shipment until Monday.”

The decision to place it on campus has been widely supported by students and staff at the university. However, some critics have argued that the availability of the pills will encourage students to engage in risky, unprotected sex.

The morning after pill, often referred to by the brand name Plan B, prevents conception up to 72 hours after unprotected sex. It works by preventing or delaying ovulation.

The new vending machine will be available to student 18 hours a day.

Please leave a comment here, and visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
XS
SM
MD
LG