Today’s Tech Sightings:
Traditional thinking has it that iOS is the most secure of the mobile operating systems. That is no longer the case as more malware and other malicious software target that ecosystem. On the other hand, the fragmented Android operating system is, at best, a security risk for the uninitiated. Yet both continue to dominate. Here’s a look at where the two platforms might be headed.
Virtual Reality (VR) is the talk of this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain and the most hyped topic in recent months as the next big thing in entertainment and gaming. But there are hopes that the technology might one day also help provide a better life to underprivileged populations. That remains to be seen.
Hard drives have seen innovation in type and data density in recent years, but their physical shape has never really changed since their inception decades ago. Now, Google is reevaluating the design of the modern hard drive and possibly looking at taller, clustered drives that will improve performance while lowering cost.
- FBI Chief: Apple Unlocking Case Not ‘Trailblazer’ for Precedent
- Apple Said to Be Trying to Make It Harder to Hack iPhones
- Google’s DeepMind Forms Health Unit to Build Medical Software
- Virtual Reality Takes Center Stage at Mobile World Congress
- Judge Confirms CMU Researchers Were Paid to Unmask Tor Users
- Google Gives Boost to Mobile Search Speed