Today’s Tech Sightings:
“Drones for Refugees” is a project designed to help rescue workers move swiftly to locate and rescue refugees making the treacherous crossing of the Aegean and Mediterranean seas to a better life. The project was founded by drone expert Mehdi Salehi, who fled Afghanistan 15 years ago.
It’s been five years since Tim Cook took over as the CEO of Apple, and his report card is in. By all accounts, Cook’s Apple has shifted from cool innovation to profitability. Writersoday’s Apple is more prone to introduce minor updates to older products than introduce new cultural hits.
Google is moving forward with Project Loon, designed to use balloons to deliver internet connectivity in remote parts of the world. Now, Google’s latest hire – Viasat executive Tom Moore- could move the program, which is still being tested, into the commercial phase
- Facebook Has Activated Its ‘Safety Check’ Feature After Italy Earthquake
- Researchers Demo 3-D-printed, Shape-shifting Objects
- Germany, France Join War on Encrypted Apps
- Singapore’s Web Cut-off Balances Security, Inconvenience
- Bain: China’s $100 Billion Chip Supremacy Bid Unrealistic
- Wildfire Ransomware Code Cracked: Victims Can Now Unlock Encrypted Files for Free
- Why This Date in World Wide Web History Might Not Matter
- Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB 3176934 Breaks PowerShell
- 5 Things to Know About the World’s Fastest Growing Smartphone Market – India
- Study: Humans May Prefer Expressive Robots to Competent Ones
- Most Americans Streamed the Olympics From PCs, Not Mobile Devices. Here’s Why.