Today’s Tech Sightings:
Apple CEO Tim Cook stressed his commitment to diversity and social progress in a message to employees following the election of Donald Trump as the next president of the United States. Without mentioning Trump, who had threatened to ban Apple during his campaign, Cook said Apple is open to all. “We celebrate the diversity of our team here in the United States and around the world — regardless of what they look like, where they come from, how they worship or who they love,” he added.
Other tech CEOs, including Microsoft’s Satya Nadella and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, sought to reassure their employees, calling for unity or focusing instead on long-term goals. Silicon Valley is very jittery about what tech policies will look like under President Trump. Fearing more government surveillance of user data, Pinboard CEO Maciej Ceglowski, a critic of data collection, urged Google and other tech giants to take a serious look at their trove of behavioral data on the internet and consider removing them. Here’s a list of the tech policies the president-elect promised to implement once in office.
A Moscow court has rejected LinkedIn’s appeal against a ruling that stated it had broken a data-storage law requiring all personal information on citizens to be stored on local servers in Russia. According to Interfax news agency, LinkedIn’s website will be blocked once the full text of the court’s ruling is delivered next week. The case was brought against LinkedIn by Russia’s state telecommunications and media regulator.
- Donald Trump Won Because of Facebook
- Some Within Yahoo Knew of Massive Breach in 2014
- Virus-spreading Smart Bulbs? Researchers Say It’s Possible
- 100 Guesses Is Enough to Crack Your Password
- Facebook Buying Passwords From Black Market to Keep Accounts Safe
- Increased Smartphone Screen-time Associated with Lower Sleep Quality
- Windows 10 Build 14965 Shows a Virtual Touchpad That Could Replace the Mouse
- How to Turn Off Microsoft’s Newest Office 365 Pop-up Ads
- Instagram Is Bringing Boomerang Video to Stories Feature