Today’s Tech Sightings:
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella cautioned tech companies against showcasing the power of artificial intelligence (AI) while undermining workers’ dignity. Speaking at the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Nadella said the current AI race seeks to replace humans rather than complement their work. Nadella’s warning comes amid a flurry of investment by the world’s leading tech firms into artificial intelligence. But a report released this week by McKinsey Global Institute suggests machines will replace specific human tasks at a much slower pace than feared.
Forward is a new concept in health care. The startup, based in San Francisco, looks more like an Apple store. Doctors and nurses have access to digital medical records before patients reach the examination room and can share them as needed to determine diagnosis and treatment. Once patients leave, they are provided with wearable devices that keep track of their vitals and transmit the data in real time to caregivers. The startup does not take insurance, but charges a membership fee that covers a slew of services.
- This Country Downloaded and Used the Most Android Apps in 2016
- UK Health Trusts Hit by Ransomware Attacks
- Dodgy Dutch Developer Built Backdoors Into Thousands of Websites
- Critical Flaw Lets Hackers Take Control of Samsung SmartCam Cameras
- Hackers Are Using a Devilishly Clever Fake PDF Attachment Scam to Break into Accounts
- Did Locky Ransomware Threat Drop Because Cybercrooks Went on Holiday?
- Microsoft Veteran Will Help Run Chinese Search Giant Baidu
- Foxconn Billionaire Assuages China About US Investment Plans
- Apple Hikes UK App Store Prices Over Weak Pound