More Than 90 Killed in Norway’s Twin Attacks

Posted July 23rd, 2011 at 3:40 am (UTC-5)
Leave a comment

Norwegian police say a gunman shot and killed at least 84 people at a youth summer camp in the normally peaceful Nordic nation, hours after he set off a bomb blast that killed seven people in the capital, Oslo.

Police official Roger Andresen announced the updated death toll Saturday from the most violent events Norway has witnessed since World War Two.

The gunman, dressed as a police officer, opened fire at a youth camp Friday on an island about 30 kilometers north of Oslo. Most of his victims were teenagers. Authorities say they are searching the surrounding lake for more bodies.

Police also have blamed the man for the Friday bombing that targeted government headquarters in Oslo.

Norway's justice minister says 32-year-old gunman is now in custody for questioning.

Norway's Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said Saturday the “brutal” attack on “innocent youths” would not take away Norwegians' feeling of safety. He admitted that safety was a pillar of society that Norwegians had taken for granted, and he stressed that the main focus was on saving the lives of those hurt in the attacks.

There has been no clear claim of responsibility, or a motive, for the attacks.

The building that was bombed in Oslo houses the office of the prime minister. He was not there at the time and was not harmed.

U.S. President Barack Obama was quick to condemn the attacks and express his condolences for the loss of life. He said the entire international community has a stake in preventing what he called “this kind of terror” from occurring.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton added that the United States is ready to support Norway as it seeks to bring those responsible to justice.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, through his spokesman, said he was shocked by the attacks and said the United Nations stands with the people of Norway “at this terrible moment.”

The bombing in Oslo shattered hundreds of windows in the 17-story government headquarters building. Windows in buildings as far as 400 meters away also were destroyed. The blast sent people running through the streets in the normally quiet neighborhood, which were littered with debris.