Former Interior Minister Returns to Egyptian Court

Posted August 4th, 2011 at 6:40 am (UTC-5)
Leave a comment

Egypt's former interior minister and six police commanders returned to court Thursday to face charges of ordering officers to shoot at protesters, a day after they appeared alongside deposed president Hosni Mubarak.

Habib al-Adly was in the courtroom in Cairo along with the police officials, for the charges related to the 18-day February uprising that drove Mr. Mubarak from power. A court has already convicted al-Adly on corruption charges and sentenced him to 12 years in prison.

A judge on Wednesday adjourned Mr. Mubarak's case until August 15. The 83-year-old former president, who was wheeled into the courtroom in a hospital bed, pleaded not guilty to charges that he ordered the killing of some 850 revolutionary protesters.

Mr. Mubarak is the first Arab leader to face trial in person since the so-called “Arab Spring” of popular revolts swept across much of North Africa and the Middle East this year. He is also facing corruption charges.

Mr. Mubarak's two sons, Alaa and Gamal stood next to their father inside the courtroom's large metal cage and spoke with him during the opening session. Both men denied separate corruption charges against them.

Mr. Mubarak, al-Adly and the six policemen could be sentenced to death if convicted. The former president also is charged with abuse of power and squandering public wealth.

The trial took an unexpected turn when Mr. Mubarak's lawyers requested that the head of the military council now ruling Egypt, a former intelligence chief and 1,600 others testify. They argued that Egypt's army chief and head of state, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, effectively “took control” of the country after January 28, when troops were deployed in the streets of Cairo.

News channels around the world broadcast Wednesday's start of the historic trial. Tens of millions throughout the Arab world watched the spectacle on live television, including many Egyptians who saw their ruler of nearly 30 years clad in a prisoner's white robes and reclining on a gurney.

Crowds also gathered outside the courthouse to watch on a large television screen. At one point, supporters and opponents of Mr. Mubarak threw rocks at one another.

Egypt's judiciary moved the location of the trial to the Cairo Police Academy for security reasons.

The former president had been living under house arrest with his family at the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, where aides say he has been in poor health since leaving office. At the close of Wednesday's session, the judge ordered that Mr. Mubarak stay at a local hospital in Cairo for the duration of the proceedings.