Anger in China Brings Down Memorial to Japanese Colonists

Posted August 8th, 2011 at 3:10 am (UTC-5)
Leave a comment

The government of Fangzhen county in northeast China's Heilongjiang province has torn down a small memorial wall to Japanese immigrants that it had built last month, following outrage from the public.

The local government built the wall, engraved with the names of Japanese settlers who died in the area, at a cost of about $109,000 in hopes of attracting Japanese investment to the area.

News of the wall sparked outrage among Chinese nationalists, and on August 3, five men were arrested for throwing red paint on the memorial and trying to tear it down.

People's Daily, the flagship newspaper of China's ruling Communist Party, reported Monday that the county tore down the memorial Friday night.

The newspaper said Japan sent more than 200,000 immigrants to northeast China between 1932 and 1945, when the area was under brutal Japanese rule. The article said Japan had planned to settle 5 million of its citizens in China to establish permanent colonies.