International Criminal Court Allows Ivory Coast Probe

Posted October 3rd, 2011 at 5:35 am (UTC-5)
Leave a comment

The International Criminal Court says it has authorized its top prosecutor to launch an investigation into possible war crimes in Ivory Coast.

The Hague-based court said in a statement Monday it granted prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo's request to probe post-election violence in the West African nation dating back to November 2010.

Moreno-Ocampo had asked for the authorization in June, saying at least 3,000 people were killed in the five-month power struggle following the election of President Alassane Ouattara. He also said more than 500 people were arbitrarily detained and at least 100 rapes were reported.

The ICC said Monday it asked the prosecutor to submit within one month information about any other potentially relevant crimes committed between 2002 and 2010.

Moreno-Ocampo told judges in June there is evidence that supporters of both Mr. Ouattara and former president Laurent Gbagbo committed war crimes during the conflict.

The violence erupted after Mr. Gbagbo refused to concede defeat. Pro-Ouattara fighters eventually seized control of the country and arrested Mr. Gbagbo, who is now under house arrest.

Mr. Ouattara launched a reconciliation panel last week aimed at unifying the nation, while the government announced parliamentary elections will be held in December.