South Korea Indicts Chinese Man for Embassy Firebomb Attack

Posted January 27th, 2012 at 2:25 am (UTC-5)
Leave a comment

Officials say South Korean prosecutors indicted a Chinese man Friday on charges of throwing four homemade firebombs at the Japanese embassy in Seoul earlier this month.

Prosecutors said the 38-year-old man, surnamed Liu was charged with attempted arson.

Liu was arrested after throwing the firebombs at the embassy in central Seoul early on January 8, scorching the outer walls.

Police say that during interrogation, Liu said he was angry at Japan because his grandmother, a Korean, had been forced to work in Japanese army brothels. Authorities also said Liu claimed responsibility for an arson attack that caused minor damage at Japan's controversial Yasukuni shrine in Tokyo last month.

The Yasukuni shrine is dedicated to all the Japanese troops killed in wars, including top war criminals from the World War Two.

Historians say tens of thousands of women from Asian countries were forced to serve as sexual slaves for front-line Japanese soldiers during the war.

Japan refuses to compensate aging victims, saying the issue has been legally settled.