Accessibility links

Breaking News

Students, Universities #MarchforScience

Higher education institutions across the U.S. marched in support of science last weekend, including University of California, University of Chicago, Emory University, Florida State, University of Texas and numerous others.

The protest was focused on proposed federal budget cuts to science-based agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Institutes of Health.

A Stanford University postdoctoral fellow created "resistor" hats for the day events. Heidi Arjes came up with the idea after seeing "pussy hats" that dominated the March for Women earlier in the year, according Stanford University's official website.

Arjes created multiple hats that were free for the public to use and copy.

“Recent events have shown scientists that we need to stand up, be more vocal and do more outreach so that people learn more about science," Arjes told Stanford.

Hundreds of Harvard students and faculty rallied together on campus in support of #MarchforScience. The marches took place in Cambridge and Longwood, according to The Harvard Crimson.

Cambridge is home to Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Lesley University. Longwood is the name of the neighborhood where numerous medical institutions are located, including Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston Children's Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Joslin Diabetes Center, and Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering.

“We march today for a future in which the federal government supports the research and teaching essential to national and human progress,” said Harvard President Drew Gilpin Faust to the crowds, according to The Harvard Crimson.

Harvard Medical School (HMS) hosted their March for Science rally on the steps of Gordon Hall on the Harvard Medical School Campus. Speakers included students, faculty and the dean of the medical school, George Daly, according to the school's official Twitter page.

Yale Law School graduate and Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Connecticut), joined members of the Yale community at New Haven, Connecticut's March for Science rally.

“Let’s start with some scientific facts: The world is not flat, the sun does not revolve around the Earth and the world does not revolve around Donald Trump,” Blumenthal said at the rally, according to Yale News.

Yale student, Helen Sun, was one of many Yale students to demonstrate the application of science at the rally. Sun ran a booth showing rally goers the daily uses of science with a microscope that can be attached to smart phones, according to Yale News.

Peter Salovey, president of Yale, sent an email of support to the Yale community.

"As scientists gather this weekend to increase awareness of the value of science in improving lives and spurring economic growth, I write to express my support for scientists and scholars working at Yale, in the United States, and around the world," according to Yale's official website.

"I join you in affirming our collective and individual commitment to the spirit of discovery and the pursuit of knowledge,"

On the West Coast, University of California-Berkeley graduate students organized their March for Science rally. The event took place at Sproul Plaza on UC-Berkeley's campus and hosted hundreds of rally goers comprised of researchers, students, and professors, according to The Daily Californian.

The Daily Californian is a student-run newspaper that covers the UC-Berkeley and the city of Berkeley.

Several members from the UC-Berkeley community spoke at the event, including Nipam Patel, a campus professor in integrative biology, molecular and cellular biology graduate students Erika Anderson and Fernando Rodriguez Pérez, and Frances Roberts-Gregory, an environmental science, policy and management graduate student, according to The Daily Californian.

March for Science was the first rally of the month. The second rally, the climate march, takes place in Washington D.C. on Saturday, April 29.

Please leave a comment here, and visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, thanks!

XS
SM
MD
LG